Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Ocean Springs



I arrived yesterday morning in Gulf Port, Mississippi in the midst of a rainstorm. It was coming down like an overflowing bath tub from above, and deep puddles had already formed in the car rental lot. I love rain, but yesterday was my only afternoon to explore the area. Luckily, it lessened to a drizzle by afternoon and I was able to get over to Ocean Springs.

I spent a lovely afternoon with a friend, driving around the area together. After lunch at a yummy Chinese Buffet with everything from eggrolls and Schezwan green beans to macaroni and cheese and tapioca, we headed over to Ocean Springs. We found a sweet little downtown lined with Live Oaks. At the center, we discovered a vintage drug store complete with soda fountain.


Please note that this was a very clean establishment, but I am still enamored of the blending overlays created by Cottage Arts. (See previous posts) I am really enjoying playing with these overlays and the vintage quality they give my photos.

The town has several art galleries and we enjoyed wandering around one filled with intricately hand-crafted glass art.

Later, we drove over to the Gulf Islands National Seashore Visitor Center at the Davis Bayou. It was gorgeous looking out at the drizzly marshes. The film about the Gulf Islands detailed their shifting history and variety of wild life including the Loggerhead Sea Turtle. Apparently, only one out of a thousand sea turtles make it to adulthood. Most are eaten by other creatures, who especially like the eggs.

I had a great time and very nice company. The rest of this week I am in a meeting with a fantastic group of people. Intense, but good. Sometimes, it is nice to work for the government...

No comments:

Post a Comment